top of page

While in the hospital…

I don’t know what I really want to say about the 3 days we were in the hospital after Casey’s birth. I didn’t get much sleep at all, mostly because of lack of comfort. Casey was so quiet those first few days, hardly cried at all except when he got his bath on day 2. He was such a trooper for his immunization he got while in the hospital. I went with when he got circumcised and got to watch a little bit of it. He really only cried when they were strapping him down. He got quiet once he got the anesthetic.

While still in the hospital I became uncertain if I was doing an ok job nursing. He seemed to be latching on well, and I could hear him swallowing, but he just seemed to stay on for the longest time and would fall asleep during feedings. When the lactation consultant would stop in, which seemed to be a LOT, he was always sleeping.

The whole time we were in the hospital, he really only cried when he was hungry, and that first bath.

Dave asked me at one point how we got so lucky. With our lifestyle and health choices we’d made over the years, how did we get so lucky to get such an adorable and healthy little boy? I still don’t know how we got so lucky, but I’m glad we did!

With all the pain I’d had during the pregnancy, all the exertion during the labor and delivery, and then the lack of sleep from being “out of my element,” I was still pretty weak and sore, but I made sure to move around enough. There’s a commercial for an arthritis medication that says “A body at rest tends to stay at rest, a body in motion tends to stay in motion.” That is definitely the truth, so I wanted to be sure to move around enough. It’s too easy to be still too much, and then it’s that much harder to get going again.

A worry kept coming to me while we were in the hospital, that I would do something “right” and someone from the staff would see and get on me about it. Like if I went to use the restroom and left him unattended and he started crying. I actually noticed while in the hospital those first few days that I was already tending to care more for his needs than my own. I got scared to go do ANYTHING and leave him by himself.

We got to go home Friday afternoon. I was able to carry Casey in the carrier a short ways, but then had to ask Dave to take over. I just didn’t have any strength left.

1 view0 comments

Recent Posts

See All



Rated 0 out of 5 stars.
No ratings yet

Add a rating
bottom of page